01 Nov Are Your Salon Visits Making You Sick? The Hidden Dangers in Your Hair Color
There’s a popular saying, “You are what you eat.” While this is typically about the foods we eat, it can also apply to other choices we make, including hair care. For years, I subscribed to the idea that achieving the perfect hair shade meant using chemical-rich hair dyes. But what if the solution to vibrant, long-lasting hair color could be better for your hair, your health, and the planet?
The Unexpected Epiphany
Like many, I navigated through 2020 with its challenges and unexpected revelations. One significant wake-up call was the realization that my constant fatigue, brain fog, and symptoms eerily similar to a hangover (even without touching alcohol) were tied to my hair products. I was forced to shut down my salon practice for a few months during the pandemic and all my weird symptoms totally went away (and resurfaced instantly when I went back to the salon).
The Science Behind Chemical Exposures in Hair Products
Often, consumers are unaware of what goes into their hair products but the skin is the largest organ and when products are sitting on your head, they’re soaking into your bloodstream. Common chemicals like ammonia, paraphenylenediamine (PPD), and resorcinol are just a few that could cause harm. These substances might offer a quick, vibrant color, but they come at a cost:
- Ammonia: Used to open the hair shaft to allow the dye to penetrate. Over time, it can weaken the hair, causing breakage and loss.
- PPD: This is what gives hair its permanent color. However, it’s also a known allergen and irritant. Some people might develop itching, redness, and even severe allergic reactions.
- Resorcinol: Used in dyes to bond the color, this chemical can disrupt hormonal functions.
By understanding the implications of these chemicals, we can make better choices about the products we use and the salons we visit.
Decoding the Low-Tox Hair Color Buzz
Low-toxic hair color has gained attention lately, but with it, there’s a lot of skepticism. Some dismiss it as a fleeting trend. Many stylists, rooted in traditional practices, argue that the longevity of hair color can’t be matched with cleaner products.
Here’s the truth: Shifting to low-toxic products requires more dedication, both in terms of time and monetary investment for the stylist so they have to really want to make the jump.
I know because I avoided it for a while too for this inconvenience…until I realized it was making me sick.
Then I started doing my homework and as a business owner, it’s my responsibility to be of the highest integrity which means I couldn’t go back to old ways once I realized the impact these products were having on people’s health.
Beyond Aesthetics: The Real Issue
When it comes to hair, the discussion often revolves around aesthetics – the shade, shine, and texture. Rarely do we talk about what’s in these products and the potential harm from CHEMICAL EXPOSURE. Each time we settle for chemically-loaded products, we expose ourselves to a ton of toxins. And the older we get, the harder it is for our bodies to process and detoxify these chemicals.
Prioritizing organic, low-toxic hair color isn’t just about maintaining your hair’s allure; it’s about holistic health. In the grand scheme of things, having gorgeous hair won’t matter if you feel like crap all the time – right?
The Path to Healthier Choices
Embracing organic, low-toxic options may seem daunting initially. But with the right approach, it becomes manageable:
- Education: Research brands and salons that prioritize health ensuring you’re exposed to the best low-toxic options.
- Awareness: Understand the impact of these chemicals on your body.
- Investment: View the switch as an investment in your health, mirroring the philosophy of opting for organic food to save on potential medical costs in the future.
Maintaining Your New Healthy Locks
As you start treating your hair and your health better, people take notice and maintaining that new glow is a big part of the puzzle. So how often should you be revisiting the salon to keep your hair always looking camera-ready?
Gloss – Every 6 weeks
Root Touch-Ups – Every 8 weeks
Highlights – Every 10-12 weeks
Haircuts – Every 10 weeks
This schedule will ensure your hair is always in its prime, showcasing the best version of you.
The Green Revolution: Rise of Eco-Friendly Salons
As awareness grows around clean beauty, there’s an exciting shift happening in the hair world. Eco-friendly salons are sprouting worldwide, emphasizing the use of organic, low-tox products. These establishments prioritize:
- Transparency: Clients are informed about every product used, ensuring there are no hidden toxins.
- Sustainability: Beyond just the products, many green salons emphasize sustainable practices, from water conservation to recycling.
- Holistic Beauty: These salons recognize that beauty is more than skin (or scalp) deep. By considering the client’s overall health and well-being, they offer treatments that enhance both the external appearance and internal health.
By supporting these salons, we’re not just making a statement about our health preferences but also about our environmental and ethical choices.
Ready to book your first (or next) session with us where you KNOW you’ll walk out of our salon looking AND feeling like a million bucks? Click here to book now.
And thank you for supporting Ceremony Healing + Hair as we strive to make the planet a healthier place to live.